Advanced Programming - Winter 11
- Winter 11
- Martin Roderus, M.Sc.
- Time and Place
- Lecture: Wednesdays at 10:15 - 11:45 in room 00.13.009A
- Computational Science and Engineering, first semester (module IN1503)
- Kaveh Rahnema, M.Sc.
- Semesterwochenstunden / ECTS Credits
- 4 SWS (2V+2Ü) / 5 Credits
There will be no lecture on December 21 and January 4
The lecture introduces the student to basic object oriented programming. "Thinking in classes" when designing an application has a strong focus. Advanced concepts such as encapsulation, inheritance or polymorphism are also covered.
The programming language is Java. Topics specific to the language, such as basic syntax, collections or unit testing, are also addressed.
- Chapter 0: Organization
- Chapter 1: Objects First with Java
- Chapter 2: Understanding Class Definitions
- Chapter 3: Object Interaction
- Chapter 4: Grouping Objects plus code
- Chapter 5: More Sophisticated Behaviour (v2) plus code
- Chapter 6: Well-Behaved Objects
- Chapter 7: Designing Classes
- Chapter 8: Improving Structure with Inheritance plus code
- Chapter 9: More about Inheritance plus code
The tutorial offers weekly programming exercises in Java, inspired by common problems from scientific computing.
|1||Ticket Machine||November 8/9, 2011|
|2||Complex Numbers||Session 1: November 15/16, 2011|
|Session 2: November 22/23, 2011|
|3||Matrix Operations||Session 1: November 29/30, 2011|
|Session 2: December 6/7, 2011|
|4||Object Oriented Modelling of Functions||Session 1: December 13/14, 2011|
|Session 2: December 20/21, 2011|
|4||Sorting||Session 1: January 10/11, 2012|
|Session 2: January 17/18, 2012|
Time and place
Group 1: Tuesdays 13:15 - 14:45
Group 2: Wednesdays 13:00 - 14:30
Basic programming skills are recommended.
- Paul and Harvey Deitel: Java - How to Program. Pearson, 8th edition (2010)
- David J. Barnes and Michael Kölling: Objects First with Java - A Practical Introduction using BlueJ, Prentice Hall/Pearson Education
- Tony Gaddis: Starting out with Java. Addison Wesley, 3rd edition (2008)