Fundamentals of Wave Simulation - Solving Hyperbolic Systems of PDEs - Winter 17
- Winter 17
- Univ.-Prof._Dr._Michael_Bader, Leonhard Rannabauer
- Time and Place
- Computational Science and Engineering (Seminar, module IN2183),
Informatics (Master-Seminar, module IN2107)
- Semesterwochenstunden / ECTS Credits
- 2 SWS (2S) / 5 Credits
In this seminar we address numerical methods for the simulation of hyperbolic partial differential equations. We discuss important examples of governing equations. In this context challenges typical for hyperbolic PDEs are tackled: Non-linearities with analytical solution approaches, Riemann solvers, domain decomposition, finite volume methods, high-order discretization, time stepping schemes, adaptivity, parallelization etc. Besides numerical theory we expect the students to apply and implement the learned concepts in the form of a small project, which requires extensive use of the learned theory.
- 1D traffic flow analytical and numerical
- Linear Systems and elastic waves
- Tsunami simulation with finite volume methods
- F-Wave Solver for Riemann problems
Propagation of the Tohoku 2011 tsunami using 16 MPI ranks.