Scientists and Ethics - Summer 18
- Summer 18
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Thomas Huckle
- Time and Place
- Informatik (Bachelor, Master)
- Semesterwochenstunden / ECTS Credits
- 2 SWS / 4 Credits
Überfachliche Grundlagen! Soft Skills!
The seminar will take place in blocks on a few days in June/July.
Registration in TUMOnline AND email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Don't forget to register in TUMOnline also for examination!!!
Only 20 participants are possible.
Tuesday 10.4.2018, room 02.07.023 , 10:30-11:00
Another preliminary meeting will take place at the beginning of the summer term.
- Fr 22.6. 2pm in room 2.7.23:
- 2:00: Schmiedmayer - Paradoxa
- 2:45: Riedlberger - Legitimization of governments
- 3:30: Jindal - Wikileaks
- 4:15: Rahman - War and Politics
- Mo 2.7. 2pm in room 1.13.10:
- 2:00: Feiler - Einstein
- 2:45: Opolka - Big Data
- 3:30: Schelle - Genetic research
- 4:15: Gust - W.v.Braun
- 5:00: Pröbstl - Turing
- 5:45: Mir - Globalization
- Mo 25.6. 2pm in room 1.13.10:
- 2:00: Farghal - Goedel
- 2:45: Hyeonjun - Nuclear Power Plants
- 3:30: Bowyer - Ten ways to loose an audience
- 4:15: Enghofer - Nash, Beautiful Mind
- 5:00: Chakraborty - I and free will
- 5:45: Krenz - Voting
Already chosen topics that are no more available are marked with -
- - Albert Einstein
- Bertrand Russell (Mathematics)
- Werner Heisenberg
- Fritz Haber (Chemistry)
- John von Neumann
- Max Planck
- - Wernher von Braun
- Nils Bohr (Physics)
- Edward Teller (Physik)
- J. Robert Oppenheimer (Physics)
- Andrej Sacharow (Physics)
- Kurt Goedel
- Lise Meitner
- Bella Abramova Subbotovskaya: Jewish People's Univ.
- Alfred Nobel
- - John Nash - A beautiful Mind
- Alan Turing
- Konrad Lorenz
- Curta - Hand calculator for Hitler
- Richard Feynman
- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
- Georg Cantor
- Linus Pauling
- Konrad Zuse
- Genetic research, Cloning, Stem cells
- Animal Experiments
- Medizine during the Nazi era - Euthanasia,..
- Doping (Sport)
- Doping (brain)
- Advertisements/Commercials/Psychology: Secret Seducers
- Language and brain
- Food chemistry/psychology
- The history of psychiatry
- _ Big Data and Politcs
- Star Wars, SDI, MD: Missile defense
- Freedom of the internet
- Open Source - Philosophy
- Women in Computer Science
- - Wikileaks
- - Robot ethics, "death by algorithm"
- digital dementia
- Fraud in science
- Error in Science
- Epistemology - Limits of Science (Skeptizismus,Kant, Popper,..)
- Watson, Crick and the decypherment of the DNA
- Fermat Conjecture and Andrew Wiles
- - Ten ways to lose an audience, "good lecturing"
- Humboldt and the Bologna Process
- How to achieve outstanding research
- Creationism and Intelligent Design
- Science and Ethics in literature
- Science and Politics
- - Political Science - Legitimization of governments,...
- Mathematics of voting systems
- - Paradoxa in Mathematics, Arts, Psychology
- Science and Religion
- Science and Patents
- The story of the "IG-Farben" - Trusts and nazis
- Industrial espionage
- - "I" and "Free Will" - a myth?
- Arguments for the existence of god?
- Historical criticism in biblical studies
- Science in the GULAG (Solschenizyn)
- - Globalisation
- Capitalism - "Soziale Marktwirtschaft" - Communism
- Death Penalty
- - War and politics
- Nuclear power - yes or no
- Register at TUMOnline, also register later for examination in TUMOnline!
- Choose free topic and mail it to me (no more avaliable topics have prefix -).
- talk: <= 45 min, ppt, pdf; has to be sent ca. 1 week in advance to me (Email or personally)
- For each session we will possibly announce a student chair
- Paper: ca. 8 pages, until ca. end of August 2018
- Seminar will be held in blocks in June/July
- Fixing the schedule at a meeting at the beginning of the summer term
- Literature and advice per email or personally
- Each student has to participate at ca. 9 talks.
- Possible debriefing in my office